Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Big Blue

18 52N x 164 02W Our second day out of sight of land has been a day filled with preparation. There is so much gear that needs to be preped for these cruises it almost boggles the mind. Video cameras, still cameras, housings, radios, GPS units, temperature/depth loggers, shoe boxes full of batteries. This morning I lead a dive safety meeting going over general dive operations and safety concerns. I spent part of the day working with Rocky, our recompression chamber operator, sending the "uninitiated" divers on training chamber dives simulating what would happen in an actual dive emergency.

The seas have been calm and the skies clear. A good trip so far and everything seems to be coming together. As lead towboarder it is a bit of a learning curve putting everything together, not forgetting anything and bringing everyone else up to speed. It is a little nerve-racking, but feels good at the same time. I know the first day of operations is going to be mayhem, but I am sure everything will come together. I hope I don't forget everything.